Gabor Mate is a 21st century leader and worth listening to. Here is an interview on the subject of addiction and trauma which is widespread in the world today.
Some of the points he makes in this interview:
- modern societies engender psychological pain and at the same time deny that pain
- the most hurt segment in our societies are the most addicted – notably the aboriginal peoples of countries that were colonized
- evidence of a dysfunctional society is one that punishes vulnerable people who are trying to escape their pain. By drugs that is – ok to be a workaholic
- not everyone who has been traumatized becomes an addict, but everyone with an addiction has been traumatized – and in childhood for the most part
- there is no such thing as a ‘war on drugs’ because you can’t wage war on an object – rather, there is a war on drug addicts
You can listen to this interview two ways:
- click on the image below to listen to the audio
- listen and watch directly from London Real (must sign up first)
London Real is a video talk show that introduces you to the most fascinating people in the world. Tired of being spoon-fed from the mainstream media, we’ve set out to offer a fresh, unscripted and unedited look into the world of real people. From activists to scientists, authors to fighters, politicians to drug smugglers – we present their real stories, uncensored and uncut.
See his other interview called Roots of Many Troubles